Laser Reproductions has been implementing the 5S program for the past few years. SORT. SWEEP. STRAIGHTEN. SCHEDULE. SUSTAIN. By abiding by this program, we have been able to eliminate waste and keep our facility clean and organized. Here are a few ways in which we implement the program:
- Paper recycling bins which are emptied each month by Shred-it.
- All scrap parts are kept in a designated area.
- Sweep daily
- Take out trash daily
- Vacuum weekly
- Constantly clean any areas in need
- Supply closets are organized.
- Model-shop technicians have a picture of their area posted on their desk. This way, they know exactly where each tool goes.
- “No ‘stuff’ on top of cabinets or shelves” policy
- Monthly 5S audit
- If someone is using shop equipment incorrectly, a Laser employee is expected to stop and educate them on how to use it properly.
We have found this program extremely helpful and we plan to continue the use of it now and in the future. Being a company that is always improving, we found a way to improve the 5S system. How? Simple – make it a 6S system. But why?
Each month, our company performs a 5S audit. Our president, along with an outside advisor, walks the floors of Laser to make sure the program is being implemented properly. In March, as the 5S audit was taking place, our president noticed an apparent flaw. One of the members of the casting team was not wearing safety glasses. Here at Laser, we want to make sure employees are always protected and working in a safe environment. Therefore, we have implemented the 6th S — SAFETY. All members of the team must wear safety glasses when working in the model shop.